Day 9 of 28 of my Black History Month history lessons. For today’s Black History I’m highlighting Oprah Gail Winfrey. The image didn’t turn out how I intended but that’s what I get for not doing great prep for this project haha.
Many people are familiar with Oprah, who was actually named Orpah at birth after a biblical character but people kept pronouncing it wrong. Oprah is a force with so many accolades that I didn’t know where to start so today I’m going to write quick highlights.
• Her favorite color is green (so I made this drawing with a green background).
• She won Miss Black Tennessee beauty pageant when she was 17 years old.
• She had a son when she was 14 years old who died as an infant.
• She was the youngest person and first African American to anchor at a news station when she was 19 years old.
• She is the first black female billionaire and richest African American woman.
• She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama.
• She’s a marathoner (She ran the Marine Corps Marathon in 4:29:15)
• She was the first African American star to be on the cover of Vogue.
• Recently she was the first black female recipient of the Cecil B. DeMille award.