In more posts about improving my “live-in-the-now” lifestyle and since I’m one of the web’s most eligible bachelorette: I got this off FunkyBrownChick’s Blog and she got it via Erin Meanley, a dating blogger at Glamour. It’s a list of experiences single folks should try before they settle down. Just like FBC, I decided to cross off what I’ve already done.
36 things every single girl must do before she settles down
To Build Your Confidence…
1. Go to a movie alone.
2. Lift weights.
3. Try surfing, water-skiing, or some activity you don’t already know how to do. Could be riding a bicycle. (I’m a certified scuba diver, I can ride a bike, I do need to learn to snow board any takers?)
4. Take out the trash, set a mousetrap, do your taxes, build a bookcase. (Done, Done, Done, Done)
5. Live alone, or at least move apartments in NYC without the help of family (Doing that)
6. Train for (and finish) a huge physical test like a half-marathon. (Does a 10K count? I couldn’t even run before!)
7. Go to a scary doctor’s appointment by yourself. Done and it wasn’t so scary in the end.
8. Quit your job. (Yup)
9. Fly to a foreign country by yourself.
10. Learn to stand up for yourself.
To Be Able to Look Back and Say “I Had Fun”…
11. Witness something once-in-a-lifetime, like Jokulsarlon, a lake next to a melting glacier in Iceland.
12. Revel in being able to watch all the reality TV you want.
13. Get drunk during the day, just because you can. Attend Santacon, the convention for Santas, or something similar.
14. Go on a date with someone who actually makes you nervous.
15. Go out with an older man who takes you somewhere nice and makes you feel like a million bucks. NYC makes everything so easy. I did this and makes me not settle for less, being spoiled can be awesome.
16. Go out with a guy who makes you laugh ‘til it hurts. These are the guys I actually prefer.
To Get Perspective…
17. Be a good wingwoman. It’s not always about you.
18. Chill with your widowed and single grandma. She knows “alone”! Hopefully a random widow worked in this example.
To Make You Appreciate the Next Guy…
20. Do at least one Valentine’s Day alone. Story of my life.
21. Attend a wedding (or 15) alone.
22. Date the creeps. You’ll really value the nice guys afterward. (Ok I am tired of the creeps!)
To Make You Feel Sexy and Attractive…
23. Buy yourself some flowers. (I miss these)
24. Invest in a LBD (little black dress) and some sexy stilettos.
25. Sit at a bar by yourself and drink a martini. (Glass of wine, beer, etc 😉 done done done).
26. Buy something frivolous and expensive that you LOVE wearing.
To Make the Most of Your Free Time…
27. Finish all your schooling if you can. (will still continue)
28. Throw yourself into something time-consuming, like learning a foreign language. (Working on it 🙂 )
To Make Yourself a Better Partner in the Future…
29. Make a list of all your faults. (Yah, I am my biggest critic)
30. Learn to cook well. Do you need convincing?
31. Get some hobbies. (That’s why I am never bored)
32. Let your married friends edit your online dating profile. (Haha will need to do that)
33. Get your finances in order.
To Appreciate Being Single…
34. Babysit someone’s baby for an hour. — Yikes
35. Help a friend through her divorce or a bad break-up.
36. Host a girls-only night. I think some coupled-up women forget how much we need each other.
Since I haven’t done only 4 things on this list, does this mean I am closer to being “coupled up?”